John V. Tucker
For over 20 years, John V. Tucker has helped people get disability benefits, life insurance benefits, ERISA benefits, Social Security disability and SSI, Veterans' disability benefits, and personal injury and wrongful death recoveries in the Tampa Bay area. Mr. Tucker has achieved AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatingSM—the highest available—through Martindale-Hubbell's® attorney peer review ratings for his ethical standards and legal ability. He is also rated 10/10 (Superb) by Avvo.com, an online lawyer rating and selection guide. In 2010, he was named one of Tampa Bay Magazine's Top Attorneys in Tampa Bay.
Mr. Tucker practices throughout the United States handling claims, litigation, and appeals related to—
- Long-term disability insurance
- Social Security disability benefits
- Veterans service-connected compensation and pension disability benefits
- ERISA disability benefits
- 401k and pension plan benefit disputes
- Life Insurance and ERISA life benefits.
- Individual and ERISA life insurance benefits.
- ERISA subrogation and reimbursement lien reductions and litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Bodily injury and wrongful death (handled only in Florida)
As a disability benefit and personal injury attorney, John Tucker has represented thousands of people throughout Florida and the United States, particularly in ERISA and disability insurance cases. While many of his clients are from Bradenton, Clearwater, Dunedin, New Port Richey, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Tampa, and other parts of the Tampa Bay area, he has clients and former clients in every county in Florida and in many other states.
Originally from Louisville, Kentucky, Mr. Tucker studied at Bellarmine University and the University of Louisville before he moved to Florida where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Florida in 1988. He went on to receive his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Florida College of Law in 1991. While at UF's College of Law, John wrote on the Journal of Law and Public Policy.
Mr. Tucker is admitted to practice before all state courts of Florida, as well as the Middle, Northern, and Southern U.S. District Courts of Florida. He is also admitted to practice before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Tucker has focused his efforts on the representation of individuals in different types of insurance and employee benefit claims. He is one of a handful of lawyers in Florida who represent private citizens in all types of disability benefit claims. Further, he is one of only a few ERISA lawyers in the United States who handles Social Security disability and veterans administration (VA) disability claims and appeals.
He has handled hundreds of administrative hearings before the Office of Hearings and Appeals of the Social Security Administration. John Tucker is also accredited to practice as an attorney before the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, where he represents disabled veterans seeking service-connected disability compensation benefits and disability pension benefits.
Memberships and leadership positions
He belongs to the following organizations:
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- President, 2002–2003
- St. Petersburg Bar Foundation Officer
- Clearwater Bar Association
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives
- National Association of Disability Representatives
- National Organization of Veterans Advocates
Teaching and lecturing
Mr. Tucker is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Stetson University College of Law teaching a course titled ERISA - employee Benefit Litigation Skills.
John Tucker has frequently been invited to give lectures to various groups, and has published manyl papers. He wrote a chapter for the first and second editions of a treatise called "ERISA Litigation." In the last year, he has given lectures at national and statewide conferences on Social Security Disability law, Disability Litigation, ERISA, Insurance Law, and Veterans Disability Benefits. Included among the groups to whom he has delivered lectures in the past are:
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Florida Justice Association (FJA)
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- National Association of Disability Representatives (NADR)
- Florida Bar Association
- Clearwater Bar Association
- LawReview CLE
John also publishes three blogs designed to help consumers with different types of disability claims. You can learn more about disability law by reading those at: http://erisadisabilitylawyer.com/, http://tampabaydisabilityattorney.com/, and http://theveteransdisabilitylawfirm.com/.
Awards and honors
Mr. Tucker's past honors include:
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatingSM from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Tampa Bay Magazine, Tampa Bay's Top Lawyers, 2010
- "Boss of the Year," St. Pete. Association of Legal Support Specialists, 2002–03
- "40 Under 40," Tampa Bay Review, 2002
- Respect for Law Award, Northeast Optimist Club, 1998
- Optimist of the Year Award, High Noon Optimist Club, 1997
- Distinguished Club President, High Noon Optimist Club, 1997
- Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels
John Tucker has been president of his homeowners association, served a five-year term on the Board of Directors of the Pinellas Opportunity Council (the organization responsible for supervising Head Start and other local programs), and served on the board of Girls, Inc. (formerly called Girls Clubs). In 1996–1997, he was president of the High Noon Optimist Club of St. Petersburg and served as Lt. Governor of the Optimist International, North Florida Region the following year. He also served on Florida Bar Grievance Committee "D" hearing complaints filed against lawyers.
In 2007, John was elected to serve on the Board of Trustees of the Mid-Florida Chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society, where he continues to serve.
Tucker & Ludin attorneys are prepared to handle your personal injury, insurance, securities, and ERISA claims. Serving mostly the greater Tampa Bay area, our firm has the resources to assist clients throughout Florida in commercial litigation and nationally in veterans' disability claims. Contact us today for experienced legal counsel in these matters.