Contact us

In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit or call 727.564.9050. A representative of the firm will call you ASAP.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Pinellas: 727.564.9050
Hillsborough: 813.594.5000

Main Office: 5235 16th. Street North, St. Petersburg, FL 33703
Tampa Office: 2202 N. West Shore Blvd. Suite 200 | Tampa, FL 33607
Ft. Lauderdale Office: 110 E. Broward Blvd. Suite 1700 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301


Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are issued for temporary periods of time and for specific purposes. What follows is a list of some of the more typical non-immigrant visas, but it is far from a comprehensive list. Our Tampa immigration lawyers will assist with most non-immigrant visas, even if they are not listed below.

B-1/B-2 Visitor's Visas.

A visitor's visa allows one to visit the U.S. for business (B-1) or pleasure (B-2). Most often, the consular officer will issue the visa as a combined B-1/B-2 visa. A visitor in this category is allowed to remain in the U.S. for periods up to six months. You can often get an extension if needed.

E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor Visas.

Nationals of countries having treaties of trade and/or investment with the U.S. may receive this type of visa to invest a substantial amount in the U.S. or conduct a substantial amount of trade between the U.S. and another country. These visas are issued for up to 5 years, depending upon the treaty country. However, the visas may be renewed indefinitely.

F-1 and M-1 Student Visas.

Students seeking to pursue a full course of study at a school in the United States may be eligible for an academic student (F-1) visa, or a vocational student (M-1) visa. The F-1 allows the student to work up to 20 hours per week on campus and provides for limited opportunities for outside employment relating to the field of study.

H-1B Specialty Occupation (Professionals) Visas.

Workers with at least a bachelor's degree or the equivalent may be eligible for an H-1B visa if the job is one that normally requires a bachelors degree. The foreign worker must also be paid at least the average wage paid to similar workers. H-1B visa holders can stay in the U.S. up to 6 years. Extensions are available in limited circumstances.

K-1 Fiancée/ K-3 Spouse Visas.

A fiancée of a US citizen may receive a K-1 visa to travel to the U.S. to marry within 90 days of entering the US. A spouse of a US citizen may apply for a K-3 for permission to travel to the US to reunite with the spouse while an immigrant visa petition is pending. For both the K-1 and K-3, the couple must file for Permanent Resident status once reunited in the US.

L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visas.

L-1 visas may be obtained by executives/managers (L-1A) and specialized knowledge employees (L-1B) transferring to their employer's U.S. affiliate.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas.

Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, business and education may qualify for an 0-1 visa, which may be granted for up to a 3 year period, with possible extensions in one year increments.

P-1 Artists and Athletes Visas.

Athletes, artists and entertainers who compete individually or as part of a team at an internationally recognized level may be eligible for a P-1 visa. Their approved period of stay in the U.S. varies depending upon the purpose of their visit.

R-1 Religious Worker Visas.

Members of a religious denomination having a bona fide nonprofit, religious organization in the United States may be eligible for an R-1 visa to come to the U.S. to work in a religious capacity. A showing of at least two years membership in the religious organization is required. Permanent Resident status may be acquired in certain cases after completing two years of religious work.